Sunday, November 17, 2013

Act 1, Scene 2

In class we are watching different directors productions of Hamlet; specifically Act 1, Scene 2. Although we have only so far been able to interpret our reading, the audio, and one or two films, it is clear that the Shakespeare's tragic story can be interpreted and presented in many different ways. It seems that when reading the play, I thought Hamlet was alone with his parents talking to them, I didn't realize that there was an audience. This also could not be shown in the audio; however, in the audio I was able to read the BBC's version of the characters' tones. Watching the first video really opened up to my eyes of what the scene really could look like. It showed me how when the king was talking 'to' Hamlet, he was not only portraying a point to Hamlet, but also to the audience. Also, on the film, I can see that the director placed the king and queen next to each other to form unity between them, and uniting them against Hamlet. This is something I somewhat imagined while reading, but seeing it is much more powerful in that I can see the unity and power between the king and the queen. I am really looking forward to seeing what the other films have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment