Wednesday, October 16, 2013

From Hamlet to Hamlet

To avoid confusion, in this post when I say Hamlet it is the junior and when I say the Ghost it is senior.

Towards the end of Act I, Hamlet talks to the Ghost of his father. We learn that Claudius killed the Ghost. In this post, I'm going to talk about how Hamlet reacts to this news.
I think that all this discussion did to Hamlet was enrage him and fill him with the hunger for revenge. My question is, does Hamlet have the right to get revenge on Claudius? If so, how much revenge is just? From the incredibly angry tone that Hamlet using when talking to his murdered father, I can only imagine that Hamlet wants to kill Claudius. Stepping back, I personally don't believe anyone ever has the right to kill someone else, by the same token, I hate Claudius, and maybe he does deserve to die for his horrid actions. Although the Ghost does tell Hamlet, on page 57, to seek revenge, does the Ghost actually mean to murder Claudius, or another form of revenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment